The course will cover:
- Selecting the appropriate breed with a consideration of milk yield, fibre quality, meat production value
- Health and safety considerations.
- Legislation relating to goats: tagging, transport, slaughter, etc.
- Grants and subsidies
- Goats and other animals on the croft/smallholding
- Requirements for shelter and grazing
- Goat nutrition
- Goat reproduction
- Goat health, common complaints and treatments
- Sources of further information
The course is eligible for ILA, which, if you are yourself eligible, will give you £200 towards the fees for eligible courses. To apply for an ILA call 0800 917 8000. You should do this right away as the ILA approval process takes about 3 weeks. To be eligible your personal annual income must be less than £22,000 and you must not be a student or have a degree.
If you would like to book a place on the Goat Keeping course, please let me Pat Glenday know as soon as possible as places are limited.
Work (Direct Dial) 01397 874 260
Kilchoan Learning Centre, Pier Road Kilchoan, PH36 4LH, email: email@example.com